Wednesday, April 28, 2010

New Sleep Pattern?


So it's 10am and I'm exhausted. For 2 nights, Aidan didn't fall asleep until close to 9pm. He was still sleeping until 7-7:30am and napping as usual so I wasn't too concerned. Last night, however, it got even worse and now I'm not sure what's going on.


I figured he was over tired from his late nights the previous two evenings, so I put him down about 6:30pm and he fell asleep. I relaxed, poured a glass of wine, and watched one of my fav shows - Law and Order SVU as well as a repeat of Lost which happened to be the only one I had missed this season while I was in Florida so all in all, the night was going well.
Around 8pm (just as Lost was ending - perfect timing), I heard Aidan crying. As I entered the room my nose detected that unmistakable odour. I had a plan of action - do not make eye contact, do not speak, just change the diaper and get out. Hopefully he would go back to sleep. I was wrong.
Aidan would be quiet, or be talking to himself happily, and then all of a sudden break out into wails. I'm really not sure why. I'd go in, flip him onto his back, and plug his mouth with a soother. 15-20 minutes later, the wailing started again. Finally around 9pm I fed him again. He ate and I really thought that was the end of the screams - not so.
At 10pm, still crying, I went in again. He was rubbing his eyes like crazy and turning his tired head from side to side. Mike ended up holding him until almost 10:30pm, when he passed out for the night. My sister commented, "At least he'll probably sleep in" but I knew better.
**************************
Elapsed time - 7.5 hours. Mike is talking to me (or is it a dream?), "Katrina, I think Aidan is awake". Me - "Like awake awake or just making noise?" My question is answered with a wail coming from Aidan's room. I think he might go back to sleep so I go in to re-soother him. As soon as he sees me, his screams get louder. So much for going back to sleep. I bring him into our bed (a bad habit and one I said I'd NEVER do, but here I am doing it. Not often, but still....) and rub his head for a while, hoping he'll dose off. He doesn't. Eventually, at 7am, I feed him breakfast. I know he's tired but I'm not sure how to make sure he stays on a good nap schedule. At 8am I put him down for a nap, and I go for one, too. He only sleeps for an hour.
So here we are. I want to get Aidan back on track - he was sleeping so well - but I'm not sure what the problem is. I was thinking maybe he just needs to eat more in the day and is having a hard time sleeping because he's going through a growth spurt. I already fed him twice today (a morning snack, which he doesn't normally have) and I'm going to try to load him up at lunch and dinner, as well as an afternoon snack (sometimes his snacks are breast milk, but whatever high calorie "food" he can get will work I think).
If any experienced moms out there have advice about this issue happening around 6 months, please let me know! I want my good sleeper back!


No comments:

Post a Comment