Friday, April 16, 2010

The Scoop on Poop

This one is for Moms Only - unless you enjoy reading about infant poop or if you want to be prepared for when you have your own baby poop to deal with!

I had no idea that Aidan's poop would be an issue in my life, other than having to change his dirty diapers. I didn't realize that there are common concerns that many new moms have when it comes to the bowel movements of their babies.

As a newborn, Aidan had that "pleasant" newborn poop that is yellow and mustardy. Since he was breastfed, it didn't even smell bad (I say this because the diapers of the formula-fed babies I've changed have been way more gross.....more brown and smelly). He fed about 8 times a day and pooped about 8 times a day. I assumed he would always poop every time he ate. At about 2 months old, a day came where he ate and then didn't poop. Okay, kind of weird, but not that big of a deal. Next feed came - still no poop. I was getting a little concerned and asked around. I also checked with my "What to Expect - The First Year". I found out that breastfed babies (maybe all babies?) can suddenly go from 5-8 poops a day to 1 a day or every few days. It's not a gradual change, it just suddenly switches from many poops to hardly any.

I remember the date, since it was Mike's work Christmas party. On December 18th, my mom watched Aidan for us so I could go to Mike's party with him. He hadn't pooped all day so I was confident that my mom would deal with the Gross Diaper. We got home around midnight and heard Aidan making noises from his room. When I went in to see him, I realized he had pooped the mother of all poops. I asked my mom to change it but she wouldn't! Instead she laughed and laughed and took pictures of me changing Aidan's huge disgusting full diaper. I will not post those pictures. Aidan was only enjoying himself, laughing and laughing. To this day, he often will be a bit fussy before a poop and then be quite pleased with himself once it's out of him.

So far, the poop changes were positive. Although there'd be a bit more coming out of him, it happened a lot less often so diaper duty wasn't as bad. But then.....he started eating solids.....

At first I fed Aidan rice cereal sporadically, not even every day. I didn't notice a change in his poop - it was still mustardy and non-stinky. About a week ago, I started feeding him lunch and dinner every day and trying different foods (carrots, peas, chicken, etc). All of a sudden, his poops changed from milky smelly to hold-your-nose man poops. And they sometimes take the colour of the food he has eaten. Gone are the days where I didn't mind changing his butt....it's now gross every time. I'm going to start potty training him as soon as he can walk, I will not change these "real" poops for any longer than I have to. Anyone have any potty training tips? I'd start him now if I could......

So there is my baby poop experience. Someday, when Aidan is older, I'm sure he'll be glad to know that his poop life was shared with all my friends. Hope you enjoyed :)

1 comment:

  1. Check this out. A blog I read had it on a few years ago when I was reading it and I saved the site:)

    http://www.mycharmingkids.net/2009/02/potty-training-101.html

    ReplyDelete