Thursday, April 22, 2010

Mommy and Me Fitness, Vaccinations

Two topics to discuss today. First of all, I started a fitness class on Monday. I picked classes that work around Aidan's feed nap times so, while he napped, I searched through my closet to find workout clothes that fit (isn't it sad when some of your sweats are too small?). I settled on some shorts that aren't quite as loose as they used to be and a tank that I recently bought so definitely fit. I packed Aidan's bag, he woke up around 10am and off we went.

The class started with some easy warm-ups. Great for me (and probably others) because I wouldn't be ready for anything to hardcore right off the bat. We did a few strength exercises, lunges, and squats. The good thing about the class is, unlike at home, I can't really just stop because I get tired. The first class wasn't too hard but I definitely sweat and felt the burn the next day from the light weight lifting we did. I didn't get a chance to talk much to the other moms (most babes, including my own, were pretty cranky by the end so we pretty much ran out of there) but everyone seemed pretty nice and obviously we all have at least a few things in common - we're all moms who aren't happy with our bodies (haha.....)

I don't have a pic of us there, but today I start Mommy and Me Yoga so I'll get my sis to snap a shot of us before we go. I'm looking forward to this class. I haven't really done anything besides prenatal yoga so I have a feeling this is going to be a bit more challenging than what I've done before. I think I'm going to miss the days of getting on all fours, pretending my belly is a hammock, "rocking" me baby back and forth, and pretending that was a workout. I'll let you guys know how the yoga goes! The only "real" yoga I did a few years ago I kept falling over and ended up leaving half way through the class because I felt like such an idiot so hopefully that doesn't happen this time.

Insert random shot of Aidan on the swing:
Never mind, the image uploader doesn't seem to be working? Maybe I'll do an all photo blog later today.


Second topic - Aidan got his 6 month shots yesterday. I don't know about the rest of you, but taking my baby for his shots is probably more traumatizing for me than it is for him. That morning, as he happily played, I felt horrible looking at him - he was so oblivious as to what was going to happen to him later, so trusting that I would make his day as fun as possible and protect him from pain.

When we got there, Aidan smiled and squirmed for the nurse, so happy and unaware. As we waited, I could hear babies screaming all around me (from behind closed doors) and almost broke down in tears right then and there. As a woman left one of the rooms holding her son, red-faced with tears streaming down his face, I wanted to take Aidan and run. But I didn't, and we went into the torture room.

The last 2 times Aidan got his shots, I nursed him right after and he immediately calmed down. I decided to do that this time, as well (not sure what I'm going to do when he's 5) and it worked! Hardly any crying. Just needle prick, scream, pop out boob, done! By the time we left, Aidan was smiling and slapping his legs at strangers in the elevator. And I didn't cry at all! I will tell you this, though, I am definitely making Mike take him next time.

One last thing - I found out Aidan weighs almost 20 lbs (19 lbs, 9 oz) so no wonder my arms and back are sore all the time. I thought babies were supposed to triple their weight in the first year, not the first 6 months! He is also 28 1/2 inches which means he is 1/2 an inch away from needing a new car seat. I lamented about this to the nurse. She looked at me and said, "Well, look at you, you're tall. And how tall is your husband?" "6'3"...." "Well, what did you expect?" It's true, I knew Aidan would be tall, but I had no concept of how tall babies are or of having to spend $200+ on a car seat so soon after buying one of those travel systems (stroller with an infant seat) . Any moms of older tots have suggestions for a good car seat that won't make me broke? I've been putting it off but I'd say I definitely need to get one within the next few weeks.

That's all for now :)

2 comments:

  1. I don't know why, but I always feel the need to comment:) We're almost there too. J is 27.5 inches (although he's only 16lbs) so we're almost at the height limit. I think we're going to go with a Britax marathon. I think they last up until 65lbs so it should be good for quite awhile. I've only heard good reviews on them and you can rear face and recline (since they're not supposed to flip for a year minimum). They also have an awesome safety rating! They are on the pricier end but at least you shouldnt have to buy a new one for 5ish years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so weird, that is the exact car seat I was going to look at that someone was selling on Kijiji. They claim it's in great condition and want $125 for it but I'm not sure how old it is. Thanks for the input!

    ReplyDelete