Monday, April 19, 2010

Mommy Fashion - All About Me :)

This blog is going to be all about me and my problems - Someone nominate me for What Not to Wear, please!

I've always had a hard time with fashion. I want to look nice, but not really follow trends, but I have a hard time putting pieces together that look flattering and, when it comes to work, appropriate. Through the years my "best" pieces have most often been hand-me-downs from friends.

Over the past few months, I have been struggling with my "look" for a few reasons.
1) I have gained quite a bit of weight and just can't fit into my old clothes. I finally packed everything up and gave it away instead of holding onto the hope that I would one day fit back into them. But that's not the only reason I gave away those clothes.....
2) Mommy/married look - now that I'm married AND a mom, I feel like I should dress fairly conservatively. I still want to look nice, not like a sloppy mom (although I'm pretty sure that's my look most of the time these days) but I'm not sure how to pull this off. There's another reason I gave away all those too small/semi-slutty clothes....
3) Age appropriate - not only am I a mom now, I'm also pushing 30. I don't think some of those cute tops I had are appropriate for me anymore. Plus I now have "mom-cleavage" (which I guess is better than what I had before - no cleavage) so the lower cut stuff just does NOT look good at all.

Now that the early days of no sleep and living in sweatpants are over (or are they....) I really want to start picking up some clothes that look good and make me feel good. Money is an issue, of course, but the bigger issue is I don't know how to dress. This isn't that big of a deal right now, but in a few months I (hopefully) will have some job interviews and be making my way back into a classroom. I'm pretty sure I can't wear sweats to work, even on casual Fridays, so I really need to start picking up some things here and there. The only dress pants I have that fit are maternity. I wish I knew how to get help.

The last concern - hair. At first I wanted to cut it all off just because I didn't have the time to wash it, let alone style it. Now I want to because Aidan is starting to yank on it. I don't want The Mommy Cut, but I want to update this boring look I have. I guess the bottom line is, with a few extra pounds on me, I need my clothes and hair to look as good as possible to help boost my self-esteem!

Any other new moms struggling with finding a new look for themselves? Or did you just keep your old clothes and fit right back into them, no problem (jealous....)?

3 comments:

  1. Hey Kat! I say I will nominate you and you can nominate me... I know I have these same problems. I want to feel appriopriate but still sexy in a sofisticated kinda way.... I am going to write all those talk shows for a Mommy Makeover for us!!! LOL Love ya miss!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh! You took the words right out of my mouth!! Yoga pants are my style right now... not so nice really. I finally caved and bought some jeans and shirts that fit when Adam and I went to the outlet stores, but I too am no good with "style"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear I'm not the only fashion-challenged mom! Sometimes dressing up is wearing my "good" sweats.....

    ReplyDelete